Accompanyment vs. melody

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
degerrum

Accompanyment vs. melody

Post by degerrum » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:04 am

Hello, I'm a beginner and I am really enjoying the program thus far. I've completed the rookie boot camp and a few of the rookie songs.

I will stick with the system but I don't necessarily want to play melody for every song. I really want to learn to accompany my own voice or my friends by playing the base line in my left and a combination of chords, improvisation, and melody in my right. For instance: "don't stop believing" was a fun and easy song to learn but what really drives the Journey song is a walking base line and a rocking back and forth on three chords in the right. Even "lean on me", the iconic sound is walking those three chords up the keyboard and back.

Is there a way to introduce the idea of accompanyment as a part of each song?

Best,
Derek

sw1tch73ch

Re: Accompanyment vs. melody

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 pm

I agree.

If you are playing with a singer, yourself or someone else, you don't want to step on their singing by playing the melody. I'm sure someone must make scores that offer two handed accompaniments that work with singers that Playground Sessions can partner with.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:22 pm

While playground sessions is good for what it is, the updates to the program and the lessons are few and far between. If you are interested in something that's not already in PGS, it would be best to strike out into the world and look for some instruction. I also wanted to learn more about accompaniment to play in a band or with a singer or singers. A quick search of the internet and I ended up here:

http://www.doctorkeys.com/

The videos can be a little hokie, and it starts off at a VERY basic level. If you've been with PGS for any time at all you will find the first part of the lessons slow. But, as it progresses, it teaches you exactly what you are asking for.

Yes, you have to pay for it. But you know what? It's $25 for 6 months access. Pretty reasonable IMO.

There might be other lessons available on the internet for playing accompaniment, but I'm pretty happy with the above website.

I've found that using other places to supplement my lessons has really improved my playing. PGS is 1 of about 6 different instruction I use these days.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for reaching out to express your interest in content centered around accompanying a singer. We're in the process of wrapping up new content that focuses specifically on that. This new content will be found in out Intermediate Tour.

I can't give an exact estimate of when it will be released, but it's coming.

degerrum

Post by degerrum » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am excited about the new content coming out for PGS and will check out the link suggested above! I'm also going to weekly lessons and have incorporated my work in PGS. Today I learned the basic licks for Don't Stop Beleivin', Free Fallin', and Superman. Each of those essentially have a simple lick repeated throughout the whole song with a baseline.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:24 am

This is excellent. I'm looking forward to it.
davidsides wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for reaching out to express your interest in content centered around accompanying a singer. We're in the process of wrapping up new content that focuses specifically on that. This new content will be found in out Intermediate Tour.

I can't give an exact estimate of when it will be released, but it's coming.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:22 pm

:)