Trying out the iPad version

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
CharlesGamble

Trying out the iPad version

Post by CharlesGamble » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi, somehow I missed that the iPad version was out already, I bought a lifetime subscription in a sale but I've been waiting for the iPad version to come out before I started using PS.

I have got my keyboard (Yamaha P-85) connected using a X-EMU1x1 MIDI-USB interface into an Apple iPad Camera Connector (USB/Lightning) into my iPad Pro.

The app seems to see my piano OK because I can see the keys highlighting in the app. I tried the first exercise in the Rookie Tour and it worked OK.

I thought there would be video in the app though.
All I can see are the exercises for the Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Tours and when I click on one I get the music score showing on-screen, with written instructions for the exercise. I thought there were video lessons.

Am I missing something or has this been left out of the iPad app?

seant23
Site Admin

Re: Trying out the iPad version

Post by seant23 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Charles,

No worries, videos will be coming soon. We had to leave them out for now, because Apple doesn't allow our current DRM system to be used (for some random reason). So we are hard at work converting the videos and reworking our video player for both desktop and iPad to accommodate this.

lordluca

Post by lordluca » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Can You tell us how long it will take?

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Videos should be ready in a few weeks.

We already have the new system in place, but need to re-encode all the existing videos for the new setup.

intelsense

Post by intelsense » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 am

Hey Guys,

Just joined up, new to Piano and digital, so the learning curve will be long and steep and I'll apologize in advance for any noob questions :). Trying to connect an iPad Air 1 running iOS 10 to my Yamaha CLP-585 to use the new App. The CLP has both a "USB to Host" and a "USB to Device" Port. I've tried using both the recommended "Host to USB" cable to a "USB to 9pin lightning adapter" I've also tried connecting via the "USB to Device" direct port using a dual end male USB cable to the "USB 9pin lightning adapter." Neither option is recognizing the App. I know the physical connection is working because I can connect to my MacBook Pro and I can also connect my iPad using the Yamaha NoteStar App and the iPad plays audio to the CLP-585. The App won't recognize the keyboard ie when I play a note on the piano, I don't see the key press on the App. It works fine on the mac pro. Would totally appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!!

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Hey,

I just replied your support ticket about this issue this morning. Check your email when you get a chance. :)

tadiorio

Post by tadiorio » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Not sure it is a keydoard related issue. I had same thing with my Yamaha PS-115. I thought it was a straight forward USB connection. Nah, too easy :lol: Sounds to me like you are going to need the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.

PlaygroundSLP

Post by PlaygroundSLP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:51 pm

I am having fun he same difficulty with my IPad Version as Intelsense.
When I play any key the app does not recognize it. I am using a Yamaha Clavinova CVP505.
I am using an Apple lightning to USB camera & the USB to host cable.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

PlaygroundSLP

Post by PlaygroundSLP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Trying to connect an iPad running iOS 10.1.1 to my Yamaha CVP-505 to use the new App. The CVP has both a "USB to Host" and a "USB to Device" Port. I've tried using the recommended "Host to USB" cable to a "USB to lightning adapter that the email you sent me suggested. The App won't recognize the notes played on my keyboard and turns the note on the IPad screen red as though I played the incorrect middle C. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you!!!

burnsgw

Post by burnsgw » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 am

I am having the same issue in that the app is not recognizing my device (Yamaha arius 240). I tried keyboard to iPad connection using my USB-apple charge cord. I have broken down and purchased the apple lightening connector but now need to also purchase the male USB to male USB cord to try it out. How come with the lightening connection this will work (hopefully)? Want to understand the mechanics of this extra intermediary before sending my husband out on a hunt for it. Also this now adding to cost ($30 for lightening, $30 For USB connector).
Seems that there are still many things to work out when using the iPad as your primary device. Willing to tackle a learning curve but need better directions rather than relying on forum post questions.