Keyboard recommendations

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
johhanna

Keyboard recommendations

Post by johhanna » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:38 pm

I have an old Yamaha P-80 which has suited my needs all these years perfectly, but I am ready to upgrade to something a little newer, better now that technology has advanced :) I don't do anything with my keyboard other than play piano. I don't write music or use any of the bells and whistles that can be found on them. I am simply looking for a keyboard that has a nicer feel to the keys. The keys on this keyboard have a load rebound sound when you release them that is very annoying. I desperately want something quieter and more of a match to a true piano, which I think would make playing much more enjoyable. It is difficult to sort through the reviews which have the key action I am looking for without going overboard for the extras that seem to come along with that. I would appreciate any recommendations!

sw1tch73ch

Re: Keyboard recommendations

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Let's start with what kind of price range are you looking for? If I had the money I would be very tempted by the new Yamaha Arius YDP-163. But my budget puts me more in line with with the P-45... :)
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

johhanna

Post by johhanna » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am

:| I guess that would have been a good thing to add is price range. From what I am seeing anywhere from $600-900 looks to be about where I would probably try to stay. I am looking closely at the P115. Going to the store today and try a few out. Take a couple of Playground songs I have mastered so I can sample them :). Like I said the only drawback of the one i have now is the keys. They make a lot of noise when you let go of the key. When my daughter plays with headphones I hear clunk clunk clunk. Same way when I practice. We are both invested enough in playing I think it is time to upgrade :). The other thing I believe I would like is the built in speakers. Would be nice to not have to set up my own. The p80 I have has no internal speakers so I will be curious to see what the difference in sound will be

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Since it is the clunky keys that annoy you so much, be sure to play these keyboards with the sound off, so you can hear the key action. My YPG-635 has the same Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keys and they do make noise when playing on them. This is probably from the little hammer action inside that make the keys feel like a real piano. The Yamaha line have basically three levels of key actions, GHS, like mine and the P-115. Next better action is simply called Graded Hammer (GH), like on the Yamaha P-255. These offer slightly better weighted action and also have better materials that make the keys feel better too. Finally, the top level key action is Graded Hammer 3 (GH3) which adds a third sensor to the keys to provide better still performance. These also have a range of materials - including natural wood and high quality synthetic ivory. These keys are supposed to be on par with the best Grand Piano action and allow playing the fastest repeated notes (if you try to play these on a GHS keyboard, they just don't register fast enough because the action has to return all the way to the rest position before the next note). The Yamaha Arius YDP-163 has the GH3 key action.

So based on your price range, the P-115 is probably going to meet your needs. If Yamaha isn't really a requirement, the latest Casio digital pianos have a wide following and the Kawaii pianos are generally well regarded - both provide a similar weighted action as the Yamahas. You'll have to play on them to see if you agree. I tried the Casios a few years ago, and chose the YPG-635 because the YPG "Felt" better.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

johhanna

Post by johhanna » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks for your reply! I went to Guitar Center just to check out the P115 and they just happened to be having a sale $100 off :o I played like you said, with sound, without sound, seemed really great compared to what I have/had but I just couldn't totally decide. They had none in stock other than the floor model so they offered to let me take it home then trade in on a new one when they came back in stock. Great chance to check them out side by side! Wow, the difference is amazing. The speakers are spectacular. My old Yamaha was wired into speakers but the sound was not as good as this. The action on the P115 is perfect, and exactly what I was looking for. For $499 I am really really happy with what I got. Anything more, I think I would be paying for lots of bells and whistles I just don't need and my abilities aren't quite worthy of one of the really wonderful Yamaha's yet, but one day.... lol :)

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Good deal! I've had my YPG-635 for a few years now - I bought it in March 2010 and still enjoy it. I probably won't upgrade unless I'm going for the better key action. The DGX-660 is really nice, but not enough better to get me to get one. Your opinion of your keyboard, like mine of mine, is the most important and I think you'll enjoy it immensely.

Congrats! :D

-- jbs --