How to play guitar 'piano-style' on an actual piano?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Arnie

How to play guitar 'piano-style' on an actual piano?

Post by Arnie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:09 pm

As a guitarist wanting to learn some piano are there any lessons that will help me with the style of accompaniment that, for example, John Lennon played on Imagine? I'm sorry, I've no idea what that particular rhythm is called when played on piano, I just know it's called 'piano-style' when played on a guitar(and please don't tell me it's called 'guitar-style' when played on piano! :P ) Thanks

sw1tch73ch

Re: How to play guitar 'piano-style' on an actual piano?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:33 pm

I think it is called Piano Accompaniment... maybe... LOL

The team has told us that they are working on plans, or at least thinking about them, for lessons about playing piano as an accompaniment. The original scope of Playground Sessions was focused on playing piano as a solo instrument that includes the melody of the music. That's basically how I want to play because I don't sing.

But knowing how to play the song sans melody is a good thing, too. The accompaniment, as I gather, is basically two hand cords with patterns and rhythms. Something like that, anyway.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for reply. I guess I'll do a little digging on Google as that particular rhythm is so popular (Karma Police, Let it Be etc.) I must be able to find something. I'll also try adapt the way it's played on guitar 'back' onto a piano which is worth a try. I'm actually more interested in learning two handed accompaniment styles like that anyway, in much the same way many people play guitar campfire strum style - so yes, it would be really good to see some lessons that cover those styles. :)

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Arnie;

Looking at the music in my fake book, it would be pretty straightforward to play an accompaniment to the song. There's a hundred ways to do it, but at my basic level, I would play it with the root (base) note on one finger on my left hand, and play the chord with my right. In other words, the first measure says it's a C chord, so I would play the C note one octave below middle C, and the C triad (CEG) with my right hand. I'd probably start at middle C with my right hand and see how it sounds. Then the next measure says it's a Cmaj7, so I'd stick with the C in the left hand and play the Cmaj7 with the right. Next is the F, so I'd play an F below middle C with my left, and F triad with my right. Continue on with the rest of the chords in such manner.

I have some music from musicnotes.com that denotes the accompaniment to be played with the top two notes of the bass clef alternating with the root note...in other words EG,C, EG,C for the C Chord...then GB,C for Cmaj7 Chord, then FA, C for the F Chord...which is just an F Chord inversion. That's another way of playing the accompaniment although it may be a little bland without the melody.

Since it's 4/4 time, there's a lot of options to make it sound interesting, but the absolute easiest is just a whole note (four beats) each measure. If I wanted to make it sound like I was strumming a guitar, I'd probably use quarter notes, in other words, strike the keys four times each measure. That may sound like too much when you play it though. You just have to try it and see what you like. You could alternate (root, rt hand chord, root, rt hand chord), or use 1/2 notes, or alberti chording, or alternate root notes, or swing base chording, all kinds of things. Googling those terms will get you started, I think. It can be really basic, or really complex.

If I were REALLY good, I might try open voicing with the chording. I'm not that good. Not nearly. Probably not ever :x

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Russ
Last edited by Russ1409 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:05 pm

BTW, there are some instructors that teach (via DVDs or downloads) the accompaniment style you're asking about. If you send me a PM, I'll point you in those directions. i have a few of their lessons. Playground so far doesn't really do that, we play the melody in the right hand and that way we don't have to listen to ourselves sing. But at a party, or maybe jamming along to a CD, playing just the accompaniment is kinda fun.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am

Many thanks for the suggestions Russ! The style I'm referring to (as best as I can describe) seems to play 2 inversions, one higher and one lower- the higher 'one' on the one and the lower on the 'and' (imagine those opening chords to, well, 'imagine';)) or even just playing the chords on the 1,2,3 and 4 (as in Karma Police) so I guess I'll try doing something like that until I get the chance to explore further.

It would definitely be a good idea for Playground Sessions to have some very beginner lessons that cover these basic accompaniment styles because you rarely hear of people who learned guitar without first 'strummimg' through a few basic chords, which is actually the main thing I'd like to be able to do on piano before moving onto something else.

Thanks again :)

marcelrobi

Post by marcelrobi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Hey Arnie,

I am also a guitarist that is learning piano. Messing around with Playground Sessions there is not much for this style of playing. However Udemy has a great course, or you can buy it from the teacher on his website as well its called Piano for All. Absolutely amazing course for chord style playing, and I think I got it for like 15$ for life haha. Tons of material and great resources.