sound

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
greggn63

sound

Post by greggn63 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm

how do i make the sound come out of my keyboard speakers instead of my laptop when im doing my lessons

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: sound

Post by davidsides » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 pm

We don't currently have the program set up to send its audio through keyboard speakers. The audio from the program currently only comes out of the speakers of the device it's downloaded onto.

Alunap

Post by Alunap » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't have a Yamaha, but this works fine for me. Korg Kronos, Mac 17" Laptop, speakers connected to Korg, USB connecting Korg to Mac, Korg drivers installed.

In Playground settings, Volume panel, turn piano sound all the way down, other sounds to taste (I have them around halfway).

In Playground settings, Audio Devices panel, choose type Core Audio, Device, Kronos (the driver for this is set up in the Audio Midi Setup application).

Turn off the computer sound.

On the Korg, Global Settings, Audio tab, select L/R for both USB 1 and USB 2.

That is it. now when you play you hear the kronos instrument (not the playground software piano), mixed with the countdown, metronome and backing tracks, all through the speakers attached to the keyboard, or headphones you are using those.

That is all Kronos specific, but I'm sure you can set up a Yamaha, Roland or whatever keyboard the same way.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 pm

To add to Alunap's comments -

A lot of keyboards have an "AUX" input 1/8" stereo jack. You can plug your MP3 player, iPod, iPhone, Tablet, or even the line out of your desktop computer or laptop to the AUX input.

Alunap is talking about the USB Audio output of your tablet or computer. Some keyboards, like one of the Yamaha MX synth, will become a USB sound device for your computer and you can find it a Playback device for your computer. If you have USB Headphones, then you have an idea what we mean.

Sadly, for me, my digital piano has neither. I'm running the computer and keyboard audio both to a mixer and then to an amp / speaker setup. Then I do as Alunap suggests and I turn the Piano from Playground Sessions down so I can hear the output of my digital piano mixed with the accompaniment.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Alunap

Post by Alunap » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:03 am

Interesting, thanks for the additional info. I realize that the Kronos is a music workstation rather than a straightforward digital piano, and thus has more options available for routing input and output through speakers or to the built in sequencer, but it is pretty neat that a single USB cable can both take midi events to the computer and at the same time take sound packets in the other direction. I figured that many digital pianos now would have a USB connection. I haven't tried using windows or linux for music, but I presume there is something equivalent for redirecting sound output from Playground out to the keyboard driver. The main point being that back in February David said it wasn't possible to send audio out through the keyboard speakers, but in fact it is. Using a mixer would obviously be an alternative.

I was thinking on getting either a Clavinova or a Roland digital piano. From what you say here, that it isn't possible to do the above on your digital piano, I had better make sure it is possible before buying either, because I like this setup.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:50 am

I think the February remarks were regarding pushing MIDI to the keyboard for the accompaniment. Since the accompaniment is an audio file, sending the MIDI for the accompaniment isn't in the program. Technically, the program still doesn't have the ability to send audio to your keyboard. That is something you have to work around via capabilities on certain keyboards and operating systems.

Specifically, if I am remembering correctly, the question was about using the built in sounds of the keyboards to play all the audio. If you do route the audio through your keyboard, you are still getting the audio from the computer sound source. It might sound better, though, because you could have better speakers in the keyboard that your computer. It's certainly worth trying.

The crazy thing is, for me, even if I did use my synth with the audio over USB AND an Aux input, the thing doesn't have speakers so I'd still end up pushing the sound to the mixer and then to the amp and speakers.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --