Option to not advanced to the next note till correct note is played

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
fudge1979

Option to not advanced to the next note till correct note is played

Post by fudge1979 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm

I have been practicing a lot without having the time running because I am trying to figure out the notes and the fingering but the practice runs too fast (I have used the slower speeds) or too slow in other parts. I also end up stopping and restarting a lot. It would be nice to have an option to have the music run as you play the notes and to not proceed to the next note until the correct note is played. For a song, I have part of it down great where I can play at the regular speed but there is a part of the song that I am still trying to get down while playing it in the whole song.

Froschka007

Re: Option to not advanced to the next note till correct note is played

Post by Froschka007 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:33 am

I can see where you are heading, but from my musical understanding, this really would go in the wrong direction. Most people learn melody and score sheet centered, and the rhythmical foundation/formation is in the background. If you can't play it in half speed, then it is too difficult. I would rather break it down even more. Or go back to training both hands separately. But sometimes there are bugs where it s nearly impossible to play something correctly. I hope you don't mind my two cents (or so you say? I am Swiss and my English is far from perfect...)
Christoph

Mac OS X 10.11.6 on playground 2.4.335.

ztbishop

Post by ztbishop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 am

I would also like to see this feature. Although I wouldn't want to rely on it all the time, it would be very useful in the beginning when learning a complex song. Especially when self teaching.

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:19 am

Agree, would be very nice to have.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm

As someone else said, this could go in the wrong direction real quick musically, and on top of that, this would be very difficult for the developers to achieve.

If the slowest metronome setting is too hard still, the song is probably too hard. Try an easier song instead, and then come back to the one you're on later.

The other option is to use the on screen keyboard, without pressing play on the interactive sheet music. The on screen keyboard has the required keys for the section highlighted. So, you can practice playing them out of time without starting the sheet music up.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

thowa

Post by thowa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks for the follow up.
Also thanks for mentioning elsewhere that you will look into it:
viewtopic.php?p=21678#p21678
Maybe it would meke sense to close one of the two threads and focus the discussion in one of them...?

The purpose of this would be to figure out note sequence, not mainly hitting the right key. Apart from tempo and length of notes, the yequencing between reight and left had is also crucial to figure out (what note left goes with what note right disregarding speed).
We have to figure that out with the program stopped. And the problem with that is that the sheet doesn't follow the player.

What we are looking for is a mode where the program would mute all background musig and metronome and simply mark every correct notes played in sequence and progress to the next note on the sheet independent from speed accuracy. Obviously also without recording that as a correct performance.

Example (incorrect notes in small letters):
Sheet as intended:
R: A ABCGHA
L: CCDH C C

Played:
R: Abb AgBCGgHA
L: C CD H C C

Sheet progress:
R: A A BCG HA
L: C CD H C C

I don't think this would be very difficult to program but of course take some effort as it would be a new feature.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks for elaborating on that. I think that's definitely something we do want to implement in the future. It's more of a feature to get users situated with the keys for a segment, like you said, while isolating just the pitches.

If we were to implement it, I could see it as being a "pre-lesson feature" where users would have to play whatever keys, in order, but out of time, before moving into the lesson. Just to be acquainted with the notes in the song. Again, thanks for bringing this one up. Not sure of a timetable, but I can confirm that we're considering it.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com