Rookie - is it ok to complete at slower speed?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
jkristia

Rookie - is it ok to complete at slower speed?

Post by jkristia » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Rookie here. Been at it for 5 hours, and I'm having the hardest time completing #30 (imagine) and #31 (work from home) at normal speed. Up until now I have been able to complete the challenges at normal speed (94 - 100%), but these two, I'm not able to get above 78% when going normal speed, but 98-100% when going slower speed.

I fell I have spend too much time on these two and just want to move on (before I get frustrated). I know it is entirely up to me how I want to do this, but is it recommended to complete the challenges at normal speed before moving on ?.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Rookie - is it ok to complete at slower speed?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

If you are on a computer, not a tablet, you have fine level control of tempo. If I have trouble jumping from the "slow" speed to "full" speed, I like to jump the tempo up in small increments. So if I'm doing good at the slow speed, the next setting I might use is 5 to 10 bpm faster and I keep working until I reach a score I'm happy with at that speed and then add the next increment and iterate until I am playing at full speed and getting a decent accuracy.

One thing to remember is the acceptable timing gets tighter as the tempo goes up.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

ozy

Re: Rookie - is it ok to complete at slower speed?

Post by ozy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am

If you're getting frustrated then it's fine to move on to the next piece and come back to it another day. The brain has a weird way or learning even when you're not actively playing the piece so it's often suprising how much better you can play the piece when you come back to it later.

Gradually increasing tempo is also a great idea as suggested by sw1tch73ch. Sometimes the jump from "slow" to "normal" tempo is just too great a transition to do all at once.