Lessons / Lerning the pedal ?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
meatlove

Lessons / Lerning the pedal ?

Post by meatlove » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello,

a newbie with a little question ;-)

In the bootcamp lessons, are there any lessons about using the pedals. I want to learn with a Kawai CA95 a 88 keys digital piano. there are 3 different pedals and so i wanna ask if there are any lessons how to use this pedals.

Thankyou

andrewwegierski

Re: Lessons / Lerning the pedal ?

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi there,

First, thanks for reaching out! We apologize for such a late response. I'm helping manage the forums now, and we hope to stay more on top of things.

So, there are no lessons about the pedals right now, but you're more than welcome to use them while you're playing; it shouldn't affect your scores. Here's a quick walk through of the pedals, from my own knowledge:

The right most pedal, the most common, is the sustain pedal. When depressed, it raises all the dampers off the strings on an acoustic piano, so they're able to vibrate freely even after the player releases a key. Obviously, there are no strings on a keyboard, but it's the same affect: sustain.

The middle pedal is called the sostenuto pedal. Some modern pianos might have a different middle pedal, one that has a muting function ("silent piano). Basically, this pedal allows you to sustain certain notes, while leaving others unaffected.

The left pedal is called the soft pedal, or una corda pedal. This pedal, without going into too much detail, softens the volume and changes the timbre of the piano slightly.

I would recommend only worrying about the rightmost pedal - that is the one that is most commonly used.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

scirocco

Post by scirocco » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am

andrewwegierski wrote:So, there are no lessons about the pedals right now.
Well, no, apart from the lesson about the pedal, Lesson 35, intermediate bootcamp.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes, that's true, and that's a great lesson - I forgot about that one.

I mean, it's not really included in the sheet music at the moment.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com