Piano teacher to support a teen needed

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
akutty

Piano teacher to support a teen needed

Post by akutty » Sat May 12, 2018 1:14 am

Hi everyone,

Recently subscribed to playgroundsessions.com for my 13 yr old daughter. She has had piano training from a private tutor few years back and then discontinued for a few years, now we are picking it up again. We also did a trial with an online piano teacher for her over Skype, while the teacher was very skilled she said that she would not support learning through playground sessions as in her words "she can not accommodate a show-and-repeat type of teaching by rote (which tends not to foster the type of thorough, well-rounded piano education we are seeking)". Does anyone have an opinion on that, is having a teacher to complement a software based learning not a great idea, so the teacher can spot things that the software wouldn't (correct fingering/posture etc.)? Maybe even guide which bootcamp/lessons to follow based on her progress. I see that playground sessions also has an interface for teachers to train their students, how can I contact someone who has experience teaching kids on playgroundsessions? We are based in Berlin (Germany) so there is also going to be time difference to think of. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!
Anil

andrewwegierski

Re: Piano teacher to support a teen needed

Post by andrewwegierski » Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi Anil,

I saw and responded to your similar message on the support desk. Please direct your reply there! Thanks!

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

scirocco

Post by scirocco » Mon May 14, 2018 5:34 pm

akutty wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:14 am
Does anyone have an opinion on that, is having a teacher to complement a software based learning not a great idea, so the teacher can spot things that the software wouldn't (correct fingering/posture etc.)?
My opinion is that a teacher is highly desirable for those exact reasons. As an adult beginner my teacher (who I only started with after several months of PS) has spotted some problems that I never even realised I had (sloping wrists, chicken wing arms going on thumb crossings etc.)

I think it’s unlikely you would find a teacher that would commit to using PS unless you say to them “I will take the responsibility of the course content”.

PS is a great tool but it is designed for popular music. It is not that great at teaching dynamics and articulation. Most teachers will want to teach the full range of classical techniques. You can always stop using them later but if you have never learned them you can never even start.

It’s also very hard to unlearn bad habits. (My wrists still slope).
Last edited by scirocco on Mon May 14, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Something that will very likely help is to record a video of yourself doing lessons. Watch your form and share that video in the Playground Sessions Community so you can ask for critique. Compare yourself to videos or pictures of proper posture.

One thing the program does not measure and grade you on is the note duration. If the piece is to be played fluidly or smoothly, you'll want your notes played so that they nearly meet the next note. If the piece calls for staccato, then you'd want to play a shorter note in the interval. The start and end timing of a note is important, and I've heard that is an improvement planned for the software. But that is something a Teacher would catch right away. Or the Community watching your videos.

If you aren't aware of these ideas, a one on one teacher is a good idea.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes, we're definitely planning on improving the app interface in the future. The ends of note durations are a limitation of the software currently.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

scirocco

Post by scirocco » Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 pm
If the piece calls for staccato, then you'd want to play a shorter note in the interval. The start and end timing of a note is important...If you aren't aware of these ideas, a one on one teacher is a good idea.
Very true, and when the left hand is doing one thing and the right hand is different it is really, really hard to tell when you are doing it wrong. That is the single biggest mistake my teacher picks up.

Good to hear the app is going to be improved in this area, though.