More Specific Progress Reporting

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
Facing

More Specific Progress Reporting

Post by Facing » Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am

A few months back I finished with the Rookie tour with a hundred percent in each mini lesson- at least according to Playground Session. Unfortunately the program doesn't differentiate my progess with respect to finger numbering, letter names or an unaided score let alone tempo.

This is currently proving to be a hinderance to my learning as I am finding it difficult to keep track of which lessons I have redone with letter names (I've not yet attempted the Rookie tour unaided).

I would like to be able to complete a lesson with finger numbering and then hit tbe button for letter names and have the program show my progress to date (with the letter names) - which at this point is averaging about forty five percent and that's rather my point. I currently have no way of tracking my improvement beyond pen and paper. The same will happen again when I attempt the course unaided -or songs unaided.

Even a button that allowed me to reset my progress would be better than nothing though I suspect many (myself included) would find it discouraging to see all of their hard work erased so to speak.

From a marketing perspective I would think this to be an excellent selling feature as you would then be offering three times the learning opportunities -all seperately tracked.

andrewwegierski

Re: More Specific Progress Reporting

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 pm

That's correct - unfortunately, Playground doesn't give different progress feedback for the different aids you can use. I think the best solution right now would be to use fingerings and note names for each chunk of music, then try playing the section with no aids, and don't move on from the section until you can play it perfectly. That's how the aids are designed to work.

I'll voice your concerns to the music team and see what they think. Thank you for your feedback concerning the app. Much appreciated!

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:08 am

I second this request. I am especially bothered about receiving 100% even if played in slow tempo. As a quick fix I would suggest to show the accuracy percentage after competing the piece but to not register it to the high score log of that piece.
But generally I am in support of a more detailed scoring system depending on difficulty settings as mentioned by andrewwegierski.
Thomas

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm

The reason we give users 100% even if they perform the song at a slow tempo is to give a feeling of progress. It wouldn't feel right to play it perfectly, even slowly, and not get anything for it. For some users, that's all they might be able to do.

I'm not sure how plausible it is for us to introduce this feature. The programming behind the scoring registry would be quite complicated. Regardless, I think it's best to just be your own teacher and not allow yourself to move on until you work on the song at full tempo.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Facing

Post by Facing » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 am

Your suggestion assumes that all of your users are able to fit such regular practice into their lives that they know where they left off. Were I starting from scratch it would be easier but as things stand Playground sessions shows the whole tour as being completed.

Would my second suggestion be an option? Is there a way that progress can be reset so that I can start again using your suggestion? A reset button would be useful because it would allow users to play at slow tempo until they mater a piece and then reset and track their ôwn rogress at the faster tempo until profection is again reached.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Unfortunately, a reset of user progress isn't currently possible within the app. We've seen this requested frequently, so I think it's going to be a discussion when updating the app.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Facing

Post by Facing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Unfortunately, a reset of user progress isn't currently possible within the app. We've seen this requested frequently, so I think it's going to be a discussion when updating the app.
I shall look forward to that. Thank you for the update. Is there a timeline for the next update?

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am

I'm not sure of that timeline. Right now, our developers' biggest priority involves the Android version.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

thowa

Post by thowa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm
The reason we give users 100% even if they perform the song at a slow tempo is to give a feeling of progress. It wouldn't feel right to play it perfectly, even slowly, and not get anything for it. For some users, that's all they might be able to do.

I'm not sure how plausible it is for us to introduce this feature. The programming behind the scoring registry would be quite complicated. Regardless, I think it's best to just be your own teacher and not allow yourself to move on until you work on the song at full tempo.
I understand the rationale, and I guess it is a matter of preference/opinion. My clear opinion differs from yours. Here is why for your consideration:
The slow tempo setting is for training and slowly approching full performance. If that is all you can do, you simply haven't completed the song at 100% - like it or not. I'd rather not get any marks than full performance marks for stuff I haven't actually mastered. To illustrate the point: Also if I only train a desctio of a song by marking it, I don't get any progress perentage for it (say mark half the song atnd complete it at zero error, I should get 50% based on your rationale). And I agree with that approch. Giving 100% mark for performances that are actually NOT compliant (low tempo) may pet low performers but irritates all those that actually want to perform properly.
Ideally there would be separate records for performance in full tempo and slow tempo. But I agree that would probably require a lot of new programming.
As second best option I would rather not give any performance record for slow tempo performance (same as with section performance).

Hint to others:
A lame work around is to intentionally play a couple of additional notes to avoid 100% record on slow tempo perfromances.

Facing

Post by Facing » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:52 am

Is there any update on a possible reset option being incorporated into the next update? Is there an option to call in and have someone reset your entire progress so that I might implement your prior suggestion?