iPad screeching, popping then no sound

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
Pohutukawa

iPad screeching, popping then no sound

Post by Pohutukawa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 am

Anyone having iPad sound probs? I am using lightning cable to connect my iPad pro with Casio Privia and it connects OK, I open a lesson, then as soon as I play a note on the piano, click, pop and ghastly electronic screeching sound (I can't really describe it) and no more sound. I've tried every possible combo of rebooting-restarting. Sometimes it fixes it, sometimes not. I can't use a computer because of my set-up so am stuck with the iPad, so I'd welcome any help/advice. Thanks.

sw1tch73ch

Re: iPad screeching, popping then no sound

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 am

The only suggestion I have - but I'm not tech support, so you might ask them at support@playgroundsessions.com - is to make sure the PLayground Sessions sample rate is set to 44.1KHz. I had strange problems with audio - not the screeching and popping, but odd off pitch moments. It had gotten set to 48KHz. I set it to 44.1KHz and it cleared up.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:26 pm

What John said.

Setting the sample rate to 44100 usually clears up any audio problems.

also, make sure Bluetooth connections are disabled on both your piano and iPad. Especially if it's a newer iPad with the latest iOS, it likes to turn on bluetooth automatically, and that can hinder the audio.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks both. I tried the sample rate change. Mine was actually set on 8000 and when I bumped it up, the speed on the Playground end was real bumpy...fast then slow, so I went back to 1600, but then I got a pop (no screeching this time -- it almost sounds like mic feedback) and the sound cut out. (With bluetooth disabled.) I was having a great time with my old MacBook, then the wifi on that died so I've been trying to make do with the iPad, but am just having a bad time with it. Thinking I need to maybe spring for an actual computer so I'm hunting around for something second hand. Might ask advice in a new thread about some kind of cheaper-than-Apple option for a dedicated Playground Sessions machine. Welcome any ideas there. Thanks so much for the advice and help.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

Hmm, try playing with your audio devices and outputs, and see what that does.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:36 am

Thanks. I think I've tried all the advice that I can find (given my technical expertise, which isn't great), including on another discussion here about sound problems, because the last few days, I've not managed to get any sound out of the iPad at all. Weird! (Oh, and I tried Flowkey, and no sound either, so it's definitely my end, not PG's fault.) Was trucking along so great for a while and the last week or so ... total fail. I'm not sure what I'm doing, or what's happened. But gonna try buying some second-hand music teaching books and use paper//sheet music until I have the courage and/or money to try again / get a dedicated desktop. Thanks for trying to help me. Verysadface.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am

It's also possible something's going wrong with your keyboard. Can you check to see if it has any MIDI options on it?

It's good we've narrowed the problem down to your set up, but we're still not sure if it's the iPad or Piano.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 am

Sorry for the delay. For the moment, I've given up trying with Playground and am using some music books I bought on Kindle, just to keep up my habit and practice because I was getting too discouraged doing the try-and-fail with the interactivity. But I hope to be back with more info after I pluck up the courage to move my keyboard into the office to plug it into my desktop and see how that goes. I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Do you think that's a good idea and if it does work, do you think it will tell me anything re whether it's the piano or the iPad? And if I do try that, is there anything I should test etc. et. (yes, keyboard does have MIDI options, to answer your previous.) Thanks!

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 am

That's great - let me know how the desktop set up works.

If it works, then the problem is probably with your iPad set up. If it doesn't, we'll have to look into what's going on with the keyboard.

If you're using MIDI plugs, try swapping them. Also, make sure that if one of the MIDI options is to "enable or disable" the connectivity, make sure it's on and able to connect.

If you still have issues tomorrow, I highly recommend sending a support ticket (email) to support@playgroundsessions.com. This way it'll be documented in the system for my colleagues to see as well.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 am

Hiya...so I finally plucked up the courage to try the keyboard out on my iMac and it worked fine. (I quit PGS for a while using piano books instead, after getting a bit dispirited, which is why this took so long.) I notice that the user guide to my keyboard (Casio Privia PX-360M) doesn't actually list iOS devices as compatible. And contrary to what I posted earlier, I couldn't find any way to mess with the MIDI settings on the piano itself. But what I did notice was that when I went into Settings on the iPad, under "MIDI Device" it had two options "Network Session 1" and "Casio USB-MIDI". So I selected the latter and it worked for about a bar and then did the fritz, and when I went back in to check this, it had switched back to "Network Session 1". Go figure. Long story short, hubby and I have decided to invest in a dedicated computer for my keyboard. So that's what I'm going to do at this point. (I'm using the printer cable option connected to the apple cord that turns USB into lightning...fyi.) Thanks for your help. I guess I don't need and answer anymore, once I get my computer. Though, you know, if that fritzes out you might hear the screams all the way from New Zealand. Ha ha. :lol: