Number our own fingering

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
jameshc

Number our own fingering

Post by jameshc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:40 am

Hi,

Ive Used Playgrounds for over a month and have never touch anything like a keyboard/piano since school 15 years ago, I think the software is fantastic.

I have come across a situation however when learning a song in this case "This is me: Rookie-M" where i feel the fingering is wrong.

Example- verse1 RH 5b 4a 4a 2f# 3f# 5a 3f# should be 5b 4a 4a 3f# 3f# 4a 3f#

There are many more examples of this throughout the entire piece where I personally feel the fingering is incorrect, it almost forces you to just use the notes display.
I would like then the ability to override the default fingering and add my own, it is beyond confusing to kick the software off trying to remember my preferred fingering whilst what I consider to be 'incorrect' is passing through the autocue.

And yes I am aware I can print it out and write my own on, but then I lose the autocue which as a starter I need :D .

just an idea.

James

Laurensss

Re: Number our own fingering

Post by Laurensss » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:46 am

jameshc wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:40 am
There are many more examples of this throughout the entire piece where I personally feel the fingering is incorrect, it almost forces you to just use the notes display.
Hi, I can't answer for PGS but I would recommend to do just that: try and read the notes, and use the fingering numbers just as a guide. In the end, reading music and playing it is what we're trying to do here.

If the fingering is not optimal for you for one of many reasons, including the possibility that it is plain wrong, I recommend you play through the piece several times with finger numbers on to get a feel for the flow, then turn them off completely.

What you (very reasonably) ask for has been requested many times, as well as an imho even more fitting option for just displaying fingering on position changes, but all we can do is wait and hope that these much needed improvements will one day get implemented. For now it feels like the addition of a new platform takes up most of the resources.

andrewwegierski

Re: Number our own fingering

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for posting. I understand your concerns!

First, I'll say this. Yes, we do make small finger number mistakes from time to time. It's possible this is the case in this arrangement. Can you post a screenshot of the exact location of the issue?

I'm not sure about a feature that gives users the ability to add their own fingerings. It's definitely an interesting point you bring up, though. I can forward to the team. Any major changes like this within the app are probably going to wait until we are finished working on a revamped technology platform for the app, which won't be for at least another year. Major changes like these take time.

I also always tell users that any finger numbers are just a guide. I'm not talking about Playground specifically. This goes for any piano music. I would advise you to learn the piece slowly using our fingering numbers, and you should feel free to deviate from the recommendations whenever it makes more sense for you to do so. Once your fingers have acquired that "muscle memory," switch that display off and have fun playing it!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com