Original Scores?

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
XImpalerX

Original Scores?

Post by XImpalerX » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello,

Playground sessions seems great as a service, but why are the scores and arrangements not the original? I am looking at some classical pieces on here and they are so dumbed-down. Why doesn't playground sessions use the true versions of sheet music?

For example, Moonlight Sonata. I am looking at what is supposed to be an advanced piece, but to me it looks like intermediate, if that.

andrewwegierski

Re: Original Scores?

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm

We tossed around the idea of "expert level" arrangements of classical pieces, which would be presented exactly as the composer wrote them. However, these were never released.

The main reason that even advanced level arrangements of classical pieces are simplified is because all of our arrangements have to fit into our arrangement rubric to be consistent. We wouldn't want a piece to exceed the hardest level in Playground - Advanced Hard.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

XImpalerX

Post by XImpalerX » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm
We tossed around the idea of "expert level" arrangements of classical pieces, which would be presented exactly as the composer wrote them. However, these were never released.

The main reason that even advanced level arrangements of classical pieces are simplified is because all of our arrangements have to fit into our arrangement rubric to be consistent. We wouldn't want a piece to exceed the hardest level in Playground - Advanced Hard.

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm
...The main reason that even advanced level arrangements of classical pieces are simplified is because all of our arrangements have to fit into our arrangement rubric to be consistent. We wouldn't want a piece to exceed the hardest level in Playground - Advanced Hard.
So, you guys plan for customers to abandon PGS when they reach a certain level, and move on to Sibelius or Finale or Piano Marvel, instead of continuing to buy pieces from you?

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:06 pm

I don't think that's the goal. I would email Thomas at thomas@playgroundsessions.com to discuss this further. The decision of how to represent advanced scores in our library doesn't land in my hands.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Honestly, if you aren't abandoning PGS sometime in your learning (sooner for some, much later for others), then you aren't learning piano, you're just playing a video game. PGS does a great job of giving you a foundation, but if you want to play something besides what PGS offers, which is what you're asking for, you need to learn outside of PGS.
Paulopedia wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

So, you guys plan for customers to abandon PGS when they reach a certain level, and move on to Sibelius or Finale or Piano Marvel, instead of continuing to buy pieces from you?

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am

Russ1409 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Honestly, if you aren't abandoning PGS sometime in your learning (sooner for some, much later for others), then you aren't learning piano, you're just playing a video game. PGS does a great job of giving you a foundation, but if you want to play something besides what PGS offers, which is what you're asking for, you need to learn outside of PGS.
I disagree completely. I am learning outside of PGS. I'm taking private lessons IRL. However, there is no reason that PGS can't continue to be a part of my continued learning well into the advanced level. People use Piano Marvel's ability to upload (and download) user lessons to help prepare for their ABRSM Level Exams. Are they "just playing a video game?" :lol: