So what from Miles Davis is not So what from Miles Davis

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
pavel

So what from Miles Davis is not So what from Miles Davis

Post by pavel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

https://youtu.be/ylXk1LBvIqU
Intermediate-moderate

Just listen first few seconds and tell me why “yours” So what is soooo different. Have you ever heard that song in original? Where is the piano intro? Middle section is different as well and outro ... Tell me why?

andrewwegierski

Re: So what from Miles Davis is not So what from Miles Davis

Post by andrewwegierski » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Yes, I have heard the original recording many times. I am a professional jazz musician, and so is the arranger of this tune.

There are many unique aspects of jazz that make it different than any other genre, and we have to approach it in a certain way when putting it in the app. The first ~0:33 of this recording is improvised. The piano and bass intro is not part of the tune or composition. Nobody plays it when they perform this tune. It is also rubato, so putting it in the app would be difficult.

When you hear jazz recordings, you're hearing more than the composition. "So What" is only 32 bars long. In Playground, we always write the head once (the composition), then we compose are own piano comping behind the solo section. No, we're not going to write multiple choruses because there is no point in making the Playground arrangement 9 minutes long. There's a lot of spontaneity in this recording. After a comping section, we bring back the head once more.

The chord voicings are exactly accurate in reference to the recording - parallel quartal voicings. The piano part also plays the bass riff, which is not how it is in the original recording. We added this to make it more interesting for the Playground user.

There is no outro on this recording, because it fades out, so the arranger decided to cut it short instead of being repetitive.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com