Bootcamp Rookie 44

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
jesstan

Bootcamp Rookie 44

Post by jesstan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:50 am

I've hit a brick wall with "When All The Saints". Obviously not good enough yet but no other lesson to now has frustrated me so much. Can play 44/1 at full speed and get 100% sometimes. 44/2 - no problem, 100%.
44/3 ughh! THe best I've got is 90% at 110 BPM. I've been trying for 3 days now but brain and hand not connecting. Should I leave it and move on, coming back to it in a few days? Or is it better to keep trying although I'm going mad through my inability to make my hands do what I want?
Doing several lessons in the Courses "Both Hands Practice" and "Reading Music" to try and solve my problem
Appreciate any advice on best way to proceed.

MarcVanMeer

Re: Bootcamp Rookie 44

Post by MarcVanMeer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:01 am

I'm not an expert, but what helps me personally in these kind of situations is to let it rest for a while; but not too long, one or two days at most. Sometimes I keep myself engaged by doing other, but similar, stuff. Sometimes a don't touch the piano at all. For some reason when I give it another go I'm doing way better! Hope this helps.

Zilchy

Post by Zilchy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:37 am

The best way I have found of getting over these hills is to take the speed down real slow and work up slowly when I am happy that I can do the song at that speed. If there is a particular bit that is tricky and keeps tripping me up I will just practice that bit

Judex

Post by Judex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 am

There's a whole library of books out nowadays on "the practice of practice," and what I've seen in more than one place is, when you're having trouble, to identify the spots that trip you up and just practice those, slowing way down and then, when you've figured out what you've been doing wrong and what you should be doing, ramp the speed up step by step until you can do it - the problem measure(s) - at full speed or a little faster. Then put the piece all back together again.

If you've already been doing this, taking a break and doing something else for a while sounds like a plan. (I like scales for that.)

HTH

bassinit

Post by bassinit » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Hey Jesstan

So I don't have an answer for you other than - KEEP GOING!

I started from scratch on on 2.3.2019 and Im currently on exercise 75 on 100%.

I refuse to move on until I have completed it 100%.

What I find really interesting about your post is that I actually remember Oh When The Saints and it was insanely difficult.

I think it is a personal thing here as I presumed that 22 would be harder than 21 and 55 would be harder than 54 if that makes sense but I genuinely find some 'harder' ones easier than the 'not so hard' ones - make sense...

Keep practising... It will come - trust me...

Ive amazed myself what Ive done and hopefully you are right there too!

Good luck

pnarzem

Post by pnarzem » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm

I have found that I start on the slow speed and achieve 100%. I will then do my own bpm without the accompaniment and increase by 10 bpm and keep doing it until I am able to do it at full tempo. It sometimes takes me a few hours of practice, but I eventually get it.

Good luck.

Perry
Perry
------------------------------------------------------
Roland FP-10

Farazh

Post by Farazh » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Had to reply to this thread. This lesson has kicked my butt last few days. I finally got 100% yesterday multiple times with and without accompaniment. Came back today and spent another hour on it to finally get 100% again. I just think the speed makes it much harder than anything preceding it.