How to read this note? Sound of Silence

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
Beauknowsdiddly

How to read this note? Sound of Silence

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm just learning to read notes for the piano and I'm not sure about this one.

It's The sound of silence - Advanced Moderate.

This note "looks like" a C flat, Only there doesn't appear to be a C flat on the keyboard. It registers with B though.

Am I to assume that whenever you see a Cb it means B? Or is that just a mistake? Or is it registering wrong on a B..... ? I don't even know if I'm playing the right note here.

Here's the note I'm referring to -------> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtganexae8nf0hd/Note.jpg?dl=0

Thank you!!
Thank You!

Beau
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Dual Core 3.5GHz, 8Gbs RAM
Yamaha YPG-535, Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen. Level 80

sw1tch73ch

Re: How to read this note? Sound of Silence

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Cb really is played on the B. There is a thing that in every key a note name can only be used once. You're in a Key that has Six Flats and there are only 5 black keys, so obviously one of those flats is on a white key. The Cb uses the B Key, because there is a Bb also. It's the Key of Gb Major or eb minor. Given the song, I'd bet eb minor.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:19 pm

TY sw!!

I don't know how to read music, so of course I don't know what major and minor keys are all about yet but as long as I know I'm playing the right note, I'm golden. It sounds okay, I just wasn't sure because if how it reads. Why don't they just put the note on the B line then? lol

Hey thanks for the response. I "REALLY wish I could read music but it all just seems so complicated, circle of 5ths, suspended, augments... eye yi yi

and I can't get the flats and sharps out of my head... Why don't they just call them all sharps or all flats??? I mean when is a G# not an Ab? lol

I suppose that all has to do with what key we're playing in maybe? and that that's why I don't get it? My brother plays harp and always asks, "what key are you in?" I don't freakin' know! LOL

Anyway thanks again!! I really appreciate it!!
Thank You!

Beau

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm

The tricky part is that each Key can only use a note name once.

So a Key with a Bb can't use B. So it uses Cb. It's all about how the notes fall that defines Sharp or Flat. I think the courses on Scales will probably cover that. I haven't hit those yet.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Thank you,
I'll definitely look into that course.
Thank You!

Beau

RSWRecording

Post by RSWRecording » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Beauknowsdiddly wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm
Hey everyone!

I'm just learning to read notes for the piano and I'm not sure about this one.

It's The sound of silence - Advanced Moderate.

This note "looks like" a C flat, Only there doesn't appear to be a C flat on the keyboard. It registers with B though.

Am I to assume that whenever you see a Cb it means B? Or is that just a mistake? Or is it registering wrong on a B..... ? I don't even know if I'm playing the right note here.

Here's the note I'm referring to -------> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtganexae8nf0hd/Note.jpg?dl=0

Thank you!!
Glad you got this handled. I had the same confusion when I started reading music.