Where Do You Start ??? Any Guidance ??

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Bob007

Where Do You Start ??? Any Guidance ??

Post by Bob007 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello All, Brand new member here (with no piano experience). I cannot find any guidance or direction on where to start ! Where do I start …. which lessons are first ? I got the impression that this was a somewhat structured training program … maybe it is, but I cannot find the initial guidance that I (a beginner) need.

Bob

andrewwegierski

Re: Where Do You Start ??? Any Guidance ??

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Bob

I believe I spoke with you over the support desk email. In case I didn't, download the app from playgroundsessions.com/support/downloads and jump right into the rookie tour lessons under the boot camp tab!

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Need a big red "Start Here" button for the very first time users. I think I watched a YouTube overview before I started, but I doubt that everyone will have found that when they jump in the first time.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

FatB

Post by FatB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm

I knew where to start, but Id like a bit more guidance. I like the fact that you let people adjust the course to their need, but I would appreciate a "default path" that proven sucessfull more often.
For example, during the rookie bootcamp, do you do the courses only when you get bored or are they needed/advisable to help with the bootcamp ? Is there a spot in the bootcamp where it's assumed you have done the 50 melodies ? I did some of the courses (like some scales) only to discover they come a lot later in the bootcamp.
Again, I understand it is a "loose" course, but the exercises in the bootcamp seem so well chosen for a slow increase in difficulty I can't believe it's all random :D
BTW if some new user read this, Ive been told that for a good progression I should do 30min a day. I was surprised and thought that a lot but I find myself doing it 90% of the days ans most often I do closer to 1h without problems. And I see the difference immediately if I skip like 3 days.
Stef
Je parle francais et anglais/I speak english and french
I use the iPad app with camera connector and a Kurzweil PC361

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 am

The default path is to start in the Rookie Boot Camp or Rookie Tour depending on which version of the app you have, and work the lessons #1 through whatever the current highest lesson number is. Then check which courses you've unlocked and work them. Then check the Rookie songs you want to do (I recommend doing at least three from the moderate or hard groups). Then step up to Intermediate and follow the same procedures as in Rookie. Then on to Advanced and do the same.

That said, at some point part way through the boot camp you might get restless - that's a good time to try a song. We are, hopefully, intending to play songs, after all. So do some!

Also, you can start a Course once you've unlocked it, you don't have to wait until you have completed the relevant boot camp. Once you unlock the reading music course, you might want to work through it right away.

I have two additional thoughts: 1) You can repeat any lessons you have completed anytime you want. 2) You can skip lessons that are frustrating you. I recommend going back to previous lessons in case 2, but going on to the next lesson is also a perfectly reasonable option.

You should make it a point to go back and do the ones you've skipped. They were probably frustrating because you needed something in them that you weren't quite ready for. At some point you will be and should tackle them. Each lesson is supposed to build on what you've done before. If you skip some, you'll be missing what they were supposed to provide.

Lastly, lessons may be added or updated at any time, look back through the previous lessons to see if anything new has shown up.

Mostly, though. You should be having fun. Music can be hard and frustrating, but it is also rewarding and fun. Now go have fun!
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

FatB

Post by FatB » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:59 am

Thanks for the response, it helps :) I love the idea of having a "preferred" path with the understanding that there is nothing wrong in changing things up from time to time :) I saw that the courses are related to the bootcamp directly recently because I saw a bootcamp exercise completed before I got there, to realise it was scales (C) that I had done previsouly in the course.

It's probably not the right place but if I may I give 1 suggestion. I'd love to have some "test" (optionnal is good) let's say every 20 bootcamp lessons to check if you are where you are supposed to be to continue. I work with the iPad and it always come back to show the finger numbers by default and I get tired of removing them, but I think I use them more than the notes sometimes and I think it's a crutch so Im restarting a way back, but a test could possibly tell me Im ok at this point.

Anyway, it's just ideas to make a great course a bit better :) Thanks
Stef
Je parle francais et anglais/I speak english and french
I use the iPad app with camera connector and a Kurzweil PC361