a newbie asks about buying digitized songs

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
clif9710

a newbie asks about buying digitized songs

Post by clif9710 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm about to finish bootcamp and am interested in buying music to continue with my playing.

I've visited the PS library and see songs available there that would, I presume, be in exactly the same format as the music I have been learning in bootcamp.

I subscribe to PS, so if I end my subscription at the completion of bootcamp, would I lose the ability to use any purchased songs for the lack of the PS software to display them?

What are my options? Is there a wide selection of music available from a variety of sources that can be played using a MIDI keyboard and is this music standardized so that available software would recognize it or is there a compatibility issue where I would need to make sure a song I buy conforms to this or that software that I might purchase?

If I buy a lifetime subscription to PS, can I be sure that any song I would buy outside of the PS library would import and display/function as I have come to expect with the music in bootcamp lessons?

Laurensss

Re: a newbie asks about buying digitized songs

Post by Laurensss » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:36 am

clif9710 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm
I subscribe to PS, so if I end my subscription at the completion of bootcamp, would I lose the ability to use any purchased songs for the lack of the PS software to display them?
As I understand it the 5 songs / month some subscriberd get for free ( :cry: ) will not remain in your library after your subscription ends. Any songs you buy with cold hard cash will remain available for you. That does assume the app will be updated for future OS versions and the needed server infrastructure remains in place.
What are my options? Is there a wide selection of music available from a variety of sources that can be played using a MIDI keyboard and is this music standardized so that available software would recognize it or is there a compatibility issue where I would need to make sure a song I buy conforms to this or that software that I might purchase?
You can only use music from the PGS library with PGS. Not just any song. There is no automatic recognition / adaptation of a song ou would rip from a CD, for example. let alone the likes of Spotify. where the DRM applied to those songs would make this next to impossible.
If I buy a lifetime subscription to PS, can I be sure that any song I would buy outside of the PS library would import and display/function as I have come to expect with the music in bootcamp lessons?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but as I read it the answer is no.
If you restate as follows:
If I buy a lifetime subscription to PS, can I be sure that any song I would buy from the PS song library would display/function as I have come to expect with the music in bootcamp lessons?
the answer is yes under the assumptions stated above.

clif9710

Re: a newbie asks about buying digitized songs

Post by clif9710 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks for your response.

I have found places to download sheet music for sale that will display on a computer and that can be printed, but not that will play themselves using a MIDI keyboard. Being able to play through the keyboard would be so much help for learning a piece and is part of what makes PS a pleasure to use.Il

After searching a bit, I found MidiIllustrator that looks like what I am talking about...http://www.midiillustrator.com/buy.htm