Problem with "Let it Be" (Intermediate)

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Swampfox

Problem with "Let it Be" (Intermediate)

Post by Swampfox » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm

It's not a boot camp lesson but I didn't know where to post. In the second measure of the 1st section you are playing a C/G with the left hand which places the E (E4?) at the top. The right hand is playing the melody which has an E (E4?) being played by the R thumb but that note is being held by the left Thumb. Am I seeing something wrong?
Last edited by Swampfox on Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarcVanMeer

Re: Problem with "Let it Be" (Intermediate)

Post by MarcVanMeer » Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Swampfox,

I don't have this song myself, but since it's the second measure I looked it up in the song library preview. And you are right, it's the same E. I would play this measure as indicated. Meaning, start with your left hand playing the C/G and when you get to the E in the melody just remove the thumb of your left hand from the E (keep your pinky and middle finger where they are, though) and play the E with the thumb of your right hand.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to do. Otherwise 'Let it Be' is probably one of the easiest intermediate songs, which is why I tried to learn it as soon as I got to triads and inversions but playing the left hand like that adds a bit more complexity to the piece. Not overwhelming but it still trips me up on moving to the next chord after that melody note switches hands and then goes back. Weird, I know.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm

That's correct! Exactly what Marc said. This type of thing is also relevant to using the pedal, where you might play a chord in the LH, put the pedal down so it sustains, then you can freely articulate the same note as a RH melody afterwards.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com