Sound through piano speakers - yay or nay?

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
david

Sound through piano speakers - yay or nay?

Post by david » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm thinking of buying a yamaha digital piano (clp625), but I read conflicting reports whether I can get the sound of both the piano and playground to come through the pianos speakers. Some say it isnt possible (including playground support, unless you start running aux out of the laptop/ipad), and some on here say they have it working perfectly via usb. So, which is it? Is anyone running a digital piano connected to a laptop or tablet, and getting the sound from playground to come through their piano speakers?

Oh, it'd be helpful if you stated whether you're using a pc or apple products, and what model of piano you're using. Cheers :)

sw1tch73ch

Re: Sound through piano speakers - yay or nay?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:41 am

I don't have a CLP-625, so I am not an experienced user of it. Based on what I see in the owner's manual and the online specifications, the CLP-625 does not have an AUX IN port, which is how I get the audio into my digital piano (Yamaha P-515). I did not find, though it might actually still be possible, a way for audio to play on the CLP-625. Others in the line do have an AUX IN capability and will do the job.

The CLP-635 and up do have an AUX IN.

My P-515 does have AUX IN, but it isn't a Clavinova. Clavinovas do have benefits over the other Yamaha "brands", like in-home service, they look much nicer (not that the P-515 looks bad, just that the Clavinovas look very good).

If you're up for it, you might look at the console style digital pianos from Casio and Kawai too. But again, you'll probably need to carefully check for AUX IN style abilities on them too.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

ccarrick

Post by ccarrick » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP and have my PC and at times my IPad connected through the aux ports of both devices. Works great! Sounds are spectacular!

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm

ccarrick wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:27 pm
I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP and have my PC and at times my IPad connected through the aux ports of both devices. Works great! Sounds are spectacular!
This is great to know. I have a circa 2001 CLP-930 Clavinova that has 1/4" stereo AUX in and out ports. I will give this a try as currently I am hearing my piano from its internal speakers and my laptop or ipad from their respective small speakers. This is fine when I'm playing "out loud," but if I ever need to play through headphones this would get all audio routed into my keyboard. Thanks!

Boboulus

Post by Boboulus » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:20 am

Hi,

If you only want to have one cable and run both Audio and MIDI with USB it doesn't seem to be possible on the CLP-625 since according to Yamaha's website it doesn't have USB-Audio interface built-in. But if you step up to the CLP-635 it will work if you make sure you have the 2.0 FW installed. Check out the Yamaha pages for more info. You can read about this feature under "more feature" tab and scroll down.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/m ... oduct-tabs

For the 625 the part about USB-interface is missing:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/m ... oduct-tabs