Hello from Emeryville, San Francisco Bay Area

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
CJ Loves Music

Re: Hello from Emeryville, San Francisco Bay Area

Post by CJ Loves Music » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:17 am

Hello from NW INDIANA / Chicago area
I’m older than I want to admit and am resuming piano lessons after stopping at age 13. I got a lifetime subscription to Playground Sessions in 2016, but was too busy with work to stick with it. I’ve been going at it in earnest this summer, just finished the Rookie Tour and am on lesson 19 of the Intermediate tour. I can’t wait to get home to play! I love that I can go at my own pace, unlike when I took piano lessons as a kid, where being taught only part of a song per week with the teacher controlling the pace and curriculum was pretty discouraging. Every time I passed a piano over the decades I regretted that I never mastered the piano, so now I’m determined to become a decent piano player. I also like that music theory is mixed into even the early lessons.

Other folks posts here are encouraging - I’m comforted knowing that I’m not the only one wanting to bang my head into a wall to work through the end of lessons. I also remind myself that I’ve always heard accomplished musicians talking about the time they put into learning a song - I’m trying to be patient with the process (after being away from it for decades).

Interestingly, my hands had to get into “shape” - my weak pinkies are stronger now, and my hand span/reach has greatly improved in a short amount of time. I also repeated a lot of left- hand lessons because I was totally uncoordinated. That and my ability to read music are getting better pretty quickly.

I do wish that the iPad app took you right back to the lesson where we left off. I also wish that the iPad app had a tab where we could get all the analytics that the Playground Sessions app has on my computer.

Keep on doing a great job! I am really and truly enjoying Playground Sessions now that i’ve jumped in with both feet!

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:24 pm

>> Nice to meet you too, James!

>> sw1tch73ch!!! Cool name :) Thanks so much for your input! Really appreciate it! I read your post twice and thought about it a lot. Great suggestions! I'll take these advices into my daily practice. Thanks.

>> Hello CJ, good to hear you are picking up it again. I first time started to learn piano at my age 33 and only last for about 7 month (un-continuously), I was so busy at work as well, went on business trip a lot. And I felt shamed each time when I visited my teacher, he was pissed off by my lack of practice, sometimes even angry with me, but I totally understood that he wanted me to learn well…for variety reasons I stopped learning and sold my piano in a half price when I moved to another city….but, I still love piano music, so I’m picking it up again, and I’m so happy that I’m doing it.

>> Good luck and enjoy the journey!

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am

Amos, no problem, here are my answers. I copied and pasted your questions because they were on the first page.

1. Is there a way to stay at the current lesson on the screen but not always have to scroll down from the first lesson? I’m using iPad, after I finished and closed a lesson, the screen always goes back to the first lesson, I have to scroll down to 40, 41, 42 to find my lesson again… And, every time when I open the App, I have to scroll down to find my current lesson as well.

A: It's set by default to, when you open the Rookie Tour, display the listing from the top down. I don't think there's a way to change that right now.

2. Do you know when the new iPad version will come out? Maybe the #1 feature above will be improved in the newer version hopefully.

A: I don't have an exact timetable for that. However I can tell you the #1 priority right now is the desktop app and its new platform. That has been in the works for a while now. My rough guess would be sometime in 2020 for the iPad app update but I am not sure. I think that's the next priority after the desktop app is upgraded.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks so much for your answers, Andrew!

I understand the scrolling down matter, it's nice to resolve, but not a show stopper at all. I can live with it. Thanks.

Last question about the new coming out version:
>> I assume the new version you mention is the Windows destop version? Right? Or, is it the MacOS destop version? Or, both?

I'm current using my iPad pro 12.9 with the Yamaha DGX-660 connected by wireless MIDI adapter. If the new version is a Windows one, I'm thinking to switch to destop PlaygroundSessions App for daily practice, I'd love to see how the new version looks like.

Have a great day!

Thanks
Amos

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I would assume it's both Windows and Mac, but that's a developer question.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Thank you, Andrew!