Hello from CT

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Sdiaz426

Hello from CT

Post by Sdiaz426 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm

So I'm not sure exactly what to say so I will start with this. My name is Steven I'm 32 yrs young and have always had an interest in piano but financially could start a new hobby but now i can so i decided to start this journey. I just purchased a yamaha psr p363 and started using playground about 5days ago and i am about at rookie lesson 16. What i wish out of this is to be able to play smooth r&b style music (bruno mars, justin timberlake, khalid, alicia keys, and a few others) and to truly understand how to read music sheets and I'm sure i will discover other genres of music that attract my soul along this journey. I hope to hear other stories of people just like me learning this beautiful sound.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello from CT

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Welcome Steven.

You've joined a group of people with exactly the same interest. Well, maybe not the Rhythm and Blues part, but the play piano, read sheet music and learn about other genres. You are in good company.

Some of the advice i've given on the Facebook community page is:
1 - Use all the tools the program offers. There are tempo controls so that very difficult pieces can be slooooooowed way down (I mean crazy, painfully slow) until your fingers don't feel like pretzels and you can inch your way (inch? I wonder how a length measurement for time based things works...?) back up to full tempo.
2 - There are finger number guides so you know where your hands go. Use them to start a lesson. Switch away to letters as soon as you have a feel for the hand position - you don't have to be proficient on the piece yet, just not lost. Switch to the letter names to see what the notes on the sheet music are called. Use the finger numbers and position guides to find those on the piano. Learn them. They'll help you read music better. Finally, turn off the number and letter and play the lessons just using the bare sheet music. The trick to learning to read sheet music is to read sheet music! You can look at the music and identify the notes represented without having to play them at the same time as you start out.
3 - Ask questions - this forum, the facebook community, and anyone you know that is learning piano is a potential resource for learning. But you won't get the answers until you ask the questions.
4 - Look at the YouTube channel for Playground Sessions. There is a lot of good stuff there. Not just the song portion lessons, but also posture, theory, and general discussions. You really want to see them. Plus Phil and David are great teachers in these videos.
5 - There is an FAQ on the Playground Sessions page that might answer questions you have, so go ahead and look it over in advanced. It might even answer questions you didn't know you had.

Most important - Have Fun! It can be hard work, but it is worth every frustrating moment and the joy of success is much greater than the sweat and effort you put in. It really is fun.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Welcome!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

wjerwin

Re: Hello from NC

Post by wjerwin » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Just want to reach out and say hello to all.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello and welcome to Playground Sessions wjerwin! Good to see new people waving back to us :)
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --