Getting 100% on songs

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Kobinabam

Getting 100% on songs

Post by Kobinabam » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:10 am

Hi there,
I have a query. When learning songs- it is probably advisable to get 100% at each stage at a slow tempo, and then build up to the songs original tempo and get 100%.
How many times should we try to get 100% at each stage before moving on to the next stage?
And after learning the song completely; how many times should we be able to get 100% at the original tempo before we have mastered the song?
In other words, how important is getting 100%? Is 90% or Even 80% good enough?
Thanks

sw1tch73ch

Re: Getting 100% on songs

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 pm

I like to play a piece to 100% at least three times in a row. Count starts over if it isn't 100%.

Also, the app scores you on time played and practice points. I like to make sure I've played to 100% three times in a row with 0 Performance Points. To get 0 Performance points, you have to reach a point where you've "paid penance" for all the mistakes you made to get there. So the first time you play to 100% you probably got a handful of points. If you played to 100% again, maybe you got fewer performance points, that is the paying penance for the previous mistakes. Once you reach 0 Performance points at 100% you can pretty much think of it as having actually achieved 100% for real. Now do it two more times in a row :D

That's the way I do it. My goals are to play the best I can so less than 100% is not good enough. But that is something you should really decide for yourself. Maybe 99% is good enough.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am

In the words of a very wise teacher I had, "don't practice until you get it right. practice until you can't get it wrong."

However many times it takes to feel comfortable and connected to the music is what you should do! Music cannot be hurried. It's a really slow process for everybody! Also, I'd advise to spend a lot of time away from the keyboard as well. Neural associations in the brain and fingers get built overnight more than you think!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks for following up, Andrew. I need a pithy way to add to my 3 in a row rant. Because it is really only Three In A Row as a minimum, even if I'm feeling confident I need to score 100% at least three times in a row so I know it isn't a fluke. To be sure, if I've done twenty in a row but still feel iffy about it, I will keep on going. Speaking of which, I need to get back to "Ode To Joy" and get those neurons wired right.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --