When working through the Rookie Bootcamp, when are the courses supposed to unlock?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
rj3711

When working through the Rookie Bootcamp, when are the courses supposed to unlock?

Post by rj3711 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm

When I was at around lesson 16, I got curious and skipped forward to watched the Orienting Your Ear and Scales to Play by Ear videos. Well, I then got an email that the bonus courses were unlocked. I'm afraid they were unlocked early and am interested in understanding at which lesson would each of the courses unlocked naturally. I'd like to try to still follow that natural progression if I can.

Thanks!

willharden97
Site Admin

Re: When working through the Rookie Bootcamp, when are the courses supposed to unlock?

Post by willharden97 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm

RJ3711,

Hello! My name is William, a Playground Sessions team member! I am happy to inform you of the answer to your question! :D

Every course is unlocked differently. Some courses are unlocked after you complete specific lessons. Other courses are unlocked simply based on how much time you spend working in the app!
Please note that any course you unlock is synonymous with your progress. Therefore, if you unlock a course, that means you have completed the necessary requirements to work-through and play that course effectively.

Cheers!
William

pavel

Re: When working through the Rookie Bootcamp, when are the courses supposed to unlock?

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm

William, can you be more specific? how many courses are available in total? what exactly do I have to finish to unlock first, second ...
So far I have:
courses.png
courses.png (81.35 KiB) Viewed 9818 times

blispers

Post by blispers » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi,

I am half way through the intermediate bootcamp. I believe I have unlocked all the available courses. I have a Social Media course that you do not. But, I believe that was a date specific course.

Good Luck

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 pm

The Social Media Challenge course is where the Monthly (or nearly monthly) Facebook challenge music is held. It is only held for the duration of that challenge, so it might be empty at times, or have new content for the current challenge. It is currently empty (12/05/2019) but will probably have the December Challenge shortly.

To sign up for the challenge you need to follow the link in the Announcement on Facebook and submit your entries back there following the short instructions in that announcement. If you don't do facebook, the Social Media Challenge will be fairly pointless.

I do not have any further unlocked courses in my lesson plan. Perhaps there will be more soon. Things like the Hanon Exercises are likely to be added as courses. But they aren't there yet as far as I know.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

rj3711

Post by rj3711 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 pm

:) Yes, I did assume they would unlock either when I reached a specific lesson or spent enough time in the app. But because I had skipped from Lesson 16 to Lesson 89 because I was curious about a video tutorial on that lesson at the end of the rookie bootcamp, I believe they were unlocked prematurely. I'm really looking for more specifics on what lessons they would have naturally unlocked on so that I can fold them in at an appropriate time or when the app intended them to be started.

Thanks!

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:51 pm

For more information please email support@playgroundsessions.com.

Of course any users are invited to chime in with each other here!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

rj3711

Post by rj3711 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:16 pm

I think I've got a working routine for myself now....without needing to know when the course would have unlocked naturally. From looking through/previewing the course materials, here's what seems to make sense to me:

1. Reading Music - Staff Notation (Rookie).
This content seems to follow roughly the same order with some similar content as the rookie bootcamp lessons, just more concentrated and with lots of practices exercises to reinforce....but may not be tied to a popular or classical song for the exercises.
I could run through this course all at once, or fold in the individual lessons in the course as extra practice when the topic comes up in the rookie bootcamp lessons.

2. 50 Famous Melodies (Rookie)
These also seem to roughly increase in difficulty and seem to follow the progression in the rookie bootcamp lessons, just sticking with one hand for the content. These seem like good items to pull into practice sessions when I to do something relatively simpler than the 2 hand related exercises that I'm on now in the bootcamp or when I only have time for a short practice session.

3. Both Hands Practice (Rookie)
These also seem to roughly increase in difficulty and seem to follow the progression in the rookie bootcamp lessons. They look like they could be useful to alternate between new concepts in the rookie bootcamp and these to re-enforce those items and provide additional content to practice.

4. 1 Octave Scales (Rookie/Intermediate)
I think I may start with the C Major Scale and slowly add new ones in every few weeks. Could also use the exercises in these as warmups as I become more familiar with the scales. They also may be useful as a reference tool as well if I've purchased a song that uses a scale I haven't practiced yet.

I think I am going to just start iterating through these something like the following:

Sample Practice session:
1. Use previously completed lessons OR one of the 50 Famous Melodies to warm up and review skills
2. Choose one two of the following depending on how much time I have for practice and gradually iterate through the bootcamp/course lessons as they progress in parallel:
a. New bootcamp lesson - to learn new topics
b. A Reading Music/Staff Notation lesson
c. Both Hands Practice Course - to re-enforce the bootcamp lessons
d. A scale (working through these more slowly than the new boot camp lessons and only introduce new ones when I'm fairly proficient with one or need to learn one for a new song).
e. Learn/practice a purchased song.