Finger numbers vs notes on the staff

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
J_Piano

Finger numbers vs notes on the staff

Post by J_Piano » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 pm

I am on lesson 7.

When doing the lessons I mentally use the finger numbers to press the right piano key while I mostly just notice the note on the staff, but it's not informing my decision. If the fingering numbers were not there, I wouldn't be able to do the lesson as well. Is the idea that I will eventually not need the numbers? Or should I ignore the numbers so that I memorize the note on the staff?

The numbers might be easy for me because I can read bass tablature (as anyone can really).

Thanks!

J

willharden97
Site Admin

Re: Finger numbers vs notes on the staff

Post by willharden97 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm

J_Piano,

My name is William, a member of the Playground Sessions team! The numbers are there to get you to play the right notes with the proper or recommended fingering for the arrangement.
Of course the idea is to eventually just read the music without the numbers that would fantastic! They are there to help you play with more confidence and to get you used to the idea of finger positioning.

My recommendation would be to play a lesson or song you are fairly comfortable with. Once you have played it a couple of times successfully, turn off the number display and play it again. This will help you register what the notes on the staff are as well as what the proper fingering is.

Enjoy the music!

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm

would be nice if software automatically hide after few attempts

J_Piano

Post by J_Piano » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Hey William!

So, yes, at 7 or 8 the numbers went away and I couldn't even begin to press the right keys so I went back to the beginning and started without numbers.

Also, Pavel, it does turn off the numbers on lesson 7 or so.

I've been using it for a few days, but, turns out I've only logged 1.5hrs! That's like 1.5 classes.

Are there statistics on how long it takes people to get through to certain lessons? Although not just get through, but master? Like bootcamp etc.
Thanks!
J

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 am

The time is how long you actually took playing an exercise to completion. If you aborted part way through, or looped the thing, that time doesn't add into the time spent. Basically you have to have that little pop up at the end of an exercise that shows your performance time and score. I don't remember how watching a video counts, I might have to experiment to see.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

mjnornan

Post by mjnornan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:52 pm

I did not get this same experience. I have the numbers still, and am on rookie lesson 61. I have the option to turn them off, or displaye letters, or off completely, but was also unsure when I should attempt to start doing this? I got the feeling it would drive me to drop the finger numbering at some point, but it never did, at least not yet.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:32 am

Numbers, or blue stickers, on the on-screen keyboard eventually go away. But finger numbers above the music staves should not automatically go away unless you disable them.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com