Regular piano

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
Umiamiu

Regular piano

Post by Umiamiu » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Can I take lessons using my baby grand piano?

andrewwegierski

Re: Regular piano

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:47 pm

No. The Playground app doesn't have pitch detection so it won't be able to hear what you're playing without a wired connection.

Andy
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm

The best way to use an acoustic piano with Playground Sessions is to have a digital keyboard to practice on with PGS, then play on the Piano to get the feel of the keys, but not with PGS, since it doesn't know what is happening. So, a nice, inexpensive practice digital piano will do the job. Playground offers many bundles with great keyboards to learn the lessons with.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

zoey

Post by zoey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 am

Thanks - useful information.

MickeyD

Post by MickeyD » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm

I've got an acoustic piano but want to use PS to learn. I've got a couple of questions about using an inexpensive digital keyboard to learn and then play on my acoustic.

-- Does Playground Sessions provide the sheet music such that I can play what I learn on my acoustic piano after I learn it on the digital keyboard?

-- Would it be better to get an 88 key digital keyboard? How good is the Playground Sessions PG-150 for learning on?

I'm tempted to go for a digital keyboard that comes closer to the feel of an acoustic... perhaps something like a Roland. But my goal is to use my acoustic piano as much as I can so I'd rather not spend big bucks if a cheap keyboard like the PG-150 would suffice.

FWIW - I haven't touched a keyboard in over 12 years but I used to play at an intermediate level years ago. Just wanting to use PS to bring back long lost skills and sight reading.

Insight and advice is greatly welcome!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 am

MickeyD wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm
-- Does Playground Sessions provide the sheet music such that I can play what I learn on my acoustic piano after I learn it on the digital keyboard?
The Songs do come with sheet music you can print - and if your computer supports it, even printing to PDF.
MickeyD wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm
-- Would it be better to get an 88 key digital keyboard? How good is the Playground Sessions PG-150 for learning on?
The vast majority of lessons will be accessible on a 61 Key digital keyboard. I haven't tried the PG-150, so I have no direct opinion on it. It looks pretty good. But, an 88 key weighted hammer digital piano will give you a more realistic feel in the keys, but will be more money. While many don't like the piano sample in the app, it will work well enough for training so you can even get a decent MIDI Controller keyboard (same caveat, 61 Keys are fine, but don't carry the weighted keys, 88 Keys will cost more).
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --