How do you switch hand positions quickly?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Lexielai

How do you switch hand positions quickly?

Post by Lexielai » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:43 pm

I am working on Lesson 64 Part 4 of the Rookie Bootcamp and for the life of me I can't handle the transition from the 5-finger position on G to the extended 5-finger position on D with thumb on C between measures 14-15. At the tempo of the song, it seems impossible to lift my whole hand up and put it in the right place in time, especially with the extended thumb, when there are no rests, while still finishing the half-note on A.

How do I switch positions quickly? Do I cut the half-note on A short? Do I lift some of my fingers over to the new position early? If so, how? They're so far away and I need to keeping playing A with my index so it's really difficult to push any of my other fingers to the right position.

FlatPanda

Re: How do you switch hand positions quickly?

Post by FlatPanda » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:41 am

Are we talking about this part?
64-4.png
64-4.png (17.96 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Here you have to move only your thumb, not your whole hand. This is Rookie Bootcamp 64 (Scarborough Fair, Right Hand), Part 4 (Hand Position 3), bars 15-17.

But I'm slightly confused, because this does not match your description with "5-finger position on G to extended 5-finger position on D with thumb on C."

If you are referring to before these measures, you have four whole measures of rest before this in order to move your hand.