Can I just move on?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
PianoMan57

Can I just move on?

Post by PianoMan57 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:28 am

Hi, I'm still on the Rookie part of the course and I thought I was doing really well until I started lessons 33 to 39, counting music. I just can't seem to get it right, and I am so frustrated. :mrgreen: Can I move on or do I have to crack these parts first? I'm thinking of giving up.posting.php?mode=post&f=33#

EFlatMajor

Re: Can I just move on?

Post by EFlatMajor » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:16 am

PianoMan57,

That is a tough question to answer. The easy answer is yes - there is little in the software to keep you from skipping over a lesson here and there.

The consequences of that are many. Courses are unlocked dependent on achieving certain levels within the app. So you may miss out on some courses because you skipped over the trigger. Try for at least 80% on every lesson. Skip after that if you need to.

Also, the lessons don't get any easier. You might skip over this lesson, but you won't progress much further as each lesson builds on the success of the previous lesson.

If you are like me, you got frustrated because you are progressing through the program too quickly. I suggest the following to minimize frustration in the Rookie bootcamp.

1 - Complete the course "Reading Music - Staff Notation (Rookie). This is all the music theory you need for the rookie bootcamp. Complete each lesson to 100%.
2 - Go back to the beginning of the bootcamp. All the way back. To the video where Harry Connick says something like "If you can count to 12, you can play the piano." Do every lesson again, every part to 100%, and count the beats out loud even though you don't need to.

When you catch up, the lessons will still be challenging, but you won't get frustrated.

After that, don't be afraid to do the last part of each lesson over and over again for muscle memory purposes.

TheDestroyer

Re: Can I just move on?

Post by TheDestroyer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:04 pm

I definetely feel your frustration I spent weeks trying tolearn and memorize how to use sheet music, and while yes you can skip past lessons in the boot camp I do think that this would be very detrimental to your learning experience since every lesson is meant to build on what your learnt in the previous lessons and the lessons do not get easier at any point in the bootcamp. So in conclusion while you can skip lessons, it would be nearly impossible because sheet music is such a vital part of learning. I would suggest going back to some of the original music reading lessons from the begging of the bootcamp or if you have already done this just try to repeat the lesson for muscle memory and eventually you will be able to get 80 percent or higher. whatever you do though be patient because whether it take a couple days or two weeks you will be able get through it. I took me weeks to properly learn sheet music but I couldn't be happier that I took the time to learn it. I hope you found this helpful. :D