Total Noob Question Here

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
NomadicSurfer

Total Noob Question Here

Post by NomadicSurfer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Okay, I am totally new to this, so please be kind. I just started two days ago and I am working my way through the rookie courses. How am I supposed to know what key I am touching if I am constantly moving my hand from right to left and vice versa? I can type on a regular keyboard really well because my hand stays still, but with a piano keyboard, what each finger corresponds to is constantly changing. Will this eventually become natural and or second nature? I have the mnemonics down, but I am just wondering how this works.

I'll do one exercise, memorize what finger corresponds to what letter/note, but then in the next exercise it is completely different.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

FlatPanda

Re: Total Noob Question Here

Post by FlatPanda » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:15 am

Hi NomadicSurfer

I understand where you are coming from, as I had the exact same question at the beginning. The answer is: practice. With a lot of practice, and with some practice sprinkled on top of it.

And I'm not kidding: muscle memory of human beings seems sometimes to be magic. You'll just "feel" where the keys are. Whether you are spanning a full octave with your pinky-thumb or "just" 7 notes, it will become natural. At the beginning it's just one step after the other: practice the easy stuff. The PGS bootcamps are literal bootcamps to get your fingers and muscle memory going. As soon as the courses open, do those too.

But above all: have fun! Welcome to the club 8-)

MiddleC

Re: Total Noob Question Here

Post by MiddleC » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 pm

It certainly can be confusing. But therein lies the methods to their madness.

Probably every song you play (maybe that's an exageration...I dont know) will start with your hands in different places. So, with that in mind, I think they are trying to get us accustomed to the fact that we will need to know how to position our hands in different places.

I think also it may prepare us some for knowing how to determine best starting point on the keyboard to catch the high and low keys in the most logical or comfortable way.