Tolerance regulator

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Frank

Tolerance regulator

Post by Frank » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am

No one can like a computer playing the piano.
It would be nice if there were a Tolleranz-Regulator .
tolleranz.jpg
tolleranz.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

dawson1331

Re: Tolerance regulator

Post by dawson1331 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 pm

I don't understand how the accuracy is measured. Why is the accuracy only 52% in the attached image? It seems like it should be higher? What do I need to do to improve on this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 7.40.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 7.40.59 PM.png (57.6 KiB) Viewed 13137 times

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Sun May 31, 2015 10:12 am

It appears that for a portion of your notes, you played the pitch correctly, but the timing, or rhythm, was a bit off (which is why there are some pink dots on the screen). Try playing it at a slow tempo until you can land all greens, then slowly speed it up with our granular tempo tool.

dawson1331

Post by dawson1331 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:59 pm

I have studied this problem a little more and discovered that my timing is more than accurate. The problem is that I have a keyboard that can layer sounds, so I was sending the note on 2 midi channels at the same time which caused confusion with the software. As soon as I set the keyboard to play just one layer (channel) everything was OK and all notes came up green. User error! Sorry.

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks for the details Dawson, I'm sure they will help someone else out in the future. Lots of different audio setups out there!

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Frank wrote:No one can like a computer playing the piano.
It would be nice if there were a Tolleranz-Regulator .
tolleranz.jpg
I couldn't agree with you more! We'll be upgrading our playback in the near future to try to make it sound more like a real person.

doubleaught

Post by doubleaught » Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Brand new to Playground, I had the same issue where I was getting low accuracy marks on every note despite striking them appropriately. I fiddled with the settings on my keyboard to no avail.

Then I tried replacing the factory-issue MIDI cable with an aftermarket model of more recent vintage (iConnectivty Mio). The latency problem disappeared immediately and now I'm registering near 100% accuracy on all my pieces.

Sandhya60

Post by Sandhya60 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 pm

I agree, the picture of the score with the dots off by .oooooooooooooooo1 of a second should be given a higher score, in real life you wouldnt see this. The programmers need to make this less of a video game of wacka mole or bag toss and get to reality. Who can progress if you are battling one line of music and keep getting red dots even though you are on the mark.
Im diggin the Piano Cat mmmmmaaaaannnnn

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 10, 2018 10:04 pm

I see that the picture has notes that are green and have an overlay of pink. That means the piano sent two notes at the same time. Two voice layering was turned on. Sandy, does your end result show the same thing? A green note with a pink over top? That might be you keyboard sending two notes together, for instance one for piano and one for strings.

I remember playing with the sounds on my keyboard, layering another voice and getting exactly the results as in the picture dawson posted. I had to turn off the layer for the second voice, even though it sounded really nice with the extra layer.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm

I can't get the forum software to keep two images in the message, so I'll post this twice, sort of. One with Dual Layers off and nice green notes showing, and a second post in reply with the Dual Layers on showing green notes with pink ones all over the place. Dual Layers might also be called Dual Voice.

First picture with Dual Voice off:
DualLayerSoundsOFF.png
DualLayerSoundsOFF.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 10630 times
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --