Keyboard stand for the iRig KeysPro?

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
DivaStyleCoach

Keyboard stand for the iRig KeysPro?

Post by DivaStyleCoach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm loving Playground Sessions and I like using my iRig KeysPro keyboard, but I'm wondering if there is a keyboard stand similar to the ones I see for other keyboards available for the iRig? I know it's narrower than most "standard" keyboards, and that complicates trying to find a stand.

I found one that can be used at a narrower setting, but it also means the keyboard would be at a higher level than "normal". I'm tall, but I have my piano bench at home dialed up to the maximum height (We also have an upright piano at the house) and it's barely adequate for the desk on which my iRig keyboard sits. This is causing some wrist pain issues and I don't want to get into a bad habit with holding my wrists a certain way.

I also have had past issues with carpal tunnel syndrome / wrist strain (no surgery) and I don't want to cause additional injury. Any suggestions on a stand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D
Dianne Daniels
Norwich, CT
iRig KeysPro keyboard, iPad4, iPhone 6 Plus

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard stand for the iRig KeysPro?

Post by davidsides » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Hmmm. What kind of stand do you currently use? Have you looked into "X" stands like this?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6 ... fgodTp4ODQ

DivaStyleCoach

Post by DivaStyleCoach » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi David,

Yep - that looks a bit like the stand I've purchased...actually, mine has two levels (I thought that way I'd be ready for expansion when the time came). In order for the stand to hold the iRig, it's got to be higher than probably intended, because if it's set too wide (and lower) the keyboard won't sit on the "arms" because it's so narrow. For the time being, I'm using my desk and I've got my piano bench cranked up to maximum height. I think I'm going to have to have my hubby make me a shelf for the stand so that I can use it at a lower height, or I'm going to have to get a chair that rises higher (gas-charged office chair perhaps).
Dianne Daniels
Norwich, CT

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Ahh, I see. How do you feel about a stand like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 1870555867

It's a bit pricy, but it may do the trick. Ultimate it may be more cost effective to have your husband make you something, but this stand is an alternative.

DivaStyleCoach

Post by DivaStyleCoach » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion - I wouldn't mind investing in a stand like that, but...it's far too wide. It's over 30 inches wide and the iRig is less than 24 inches wide...I'll keep looking. Thank you for the info!
Dianne Daniels
Norwich, CT

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Ahh, I see. Well hopefully your husband can make you just what you need. :)

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 am

Get a Z style keyboard heavy duty keyboard stand that is adjustable for height and width. They are much better than those X style stands, especially if you have long legs and want to use pedals.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

An option is to use one of the Z or Table style stands and then lay a shelf across it. A shelf 36 inches wide would cover the top of the stand nicely, adding only about 3/4 inch to the height. The challenge with the iRigs is you might find you need more keys. 49 keys is the minimum recommended for the rookie course. 61 is optimal through Intermediate. For Advanced you might find you need at least 76 keys (and you might as well go for 88 at that point). Depending on how fast you progress, that could be a little while off - but plan for it.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 pm

All the advanced arrangements, with a few exceptions, should fit within a 61 key range as well, as per Playground's arrangement guide that we use on the music team. 61 key keyboards span from C2-C7, so it basically removes the extreme low and high octaves from a standard 88 key keyboard. Right hand notes certainly won't exceed C7, but there might be a case in which the left hand goes to a B or Bb1. It's not a huge issue.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com