Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
GadgetGal

Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

Post by GadgetGal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I cannot get my tablet to recognize my keyboard. I am using a Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable to connect but tablet is still not seeing my keyboard. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A?

sw1tch73ch

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 pm

The YPG-235 is the same "generation" as my YPG-635. The USB-MIDI on these keyboards is not "Class Compliant" - a standard that emerged fairly recently (at least from Yamaha's viewpoint). A laptop will work because you can add the custom drivers the Yamaha needs. I believe the Android devices are waiting on a potential fix with "old" MIDI software that is not part of the Android SDK - which might take some time to accomplish. Hopefully one of the Developers can chip on on the progress there.

Even my relatively recent MX-49 is not USB-MIDI class compliant. Fortunately it includes traditional MIDI-IN and OUT ports and I can use my class compliant Roland UM-ONE adapter. That isn't an option on my YPG-635, so there I have a tiny computer running windows 7 running Playground Sessions so I can work with my weighted key digital piano.

I keep meaning to take my Android tablet to Sam Ash and check on the new DGX-660 to see if that USB-MIDI is class compliant or not.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

GadgetGal

Post by GadgetGal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the response. I hope they can come up with a fix soon. Too bad Yamaha does not meet the standard. I recently purchased the keyboard so it is new. It is very awkward to try to balance a laptop on the keyboard so it will work.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 pm

I know what you mean about trying to balance the laptop on the keyboard. I bought a "convertible" laptop that pretends it's a tablet (keys fold behind, and it has nice multi-finger touch screen) that I intended to use on my YPG. But I saw the cute little Intel NUC micro-PC that I attached to the cross bar of the furniture stand and hook that up to a monitor that is on a swing arm over the piano. Not the least expensive solution... I did all this BEFORE I found Playground Sessions trying to use software I have that doesn't run on Windows 8 or 10 and barely on Windows 7 using Windows XP emulation (and it barely worked on Windows XP - it was originally for Windows 98!).

There are thin USB based monitors, but I haven't tested how Playground Sessions would work on a USB monitor. You could set a laptop next to the piano and put the monitor on the sheet music stand. Oh, and I use a trackball mouse because a regular mouse is just about impossible to use on top of the keyboard, though if the laptop is in reach you could use the track-pad. Now we only need someone to test a USB Monitor first that already has a USB monitor to tell us if it works.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

I realize this is an older post but just in case others have a Galaxy Tab A and a Yamaha: I was able to get the Android beta app to recognize my YP-45B by using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932N46S

But I too am looking for a larger monitor setup and will use switch's idead.