Have questions because the website seems to be a little vague about how this works.

Chat about general topics including Feature Requests
estes53

Have questions because the website seems to be a little vague about how this works.

Post by estes53 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Is this the normal sequence?-
Bootcamp Rooky to the end.
Rooky Songs, until you feel you are ready for intermediate.
Bootcamp Intermediate to the end.
Intermediate Songs, until you feel you are ready for Advanced.
And so forth.......?

Second question-
Are the songs labeled free the ones you get with the points?
or
are those always free and the points allow you to choose a song that you would otherwise have to pay for?

Thanx, Alan

andrewwegierski

Re: Have questions because the website seems to be a little vague about how this works.

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am

Alan,

Thanks for the post here. I think the website is purposely vague in a sense because with Playground, you are your own teacher, and that means you can set up your own curriculum however you'd like. That sounds like a good plan to me, though. The point of the boot camp is to provide you with enough piano technique and music theory instruction so that you can launch into learning songs of your interest. I'd advise to go through the entire rookie boot camp before jumping into songs; however, you can jump into any song at any time if you feel you're ready! (Lean on Me is a popular first song choice.)

To answer your second question, you're probably wondering about your free song credits. Those allow you to essentially choose any desired song from our song store and get it for free. One credit = one free song. Occasionally, there will be free songs (I remember one weekend, Soul Bossa by Quincy Jones was available for free for a limited time. If you need help with that process, let me know.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Support Tech & Music Arranger
andrew@playgroundsessions.com

scirocco

Re: Have questions because the website seems to be a little vague about how this works.

Post by scirocco » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I went straight from Rookie to Intermediate lessons without spending time limiting myself to Rookie songs. I didn’t find it a problem.
Probably the only thing I found a bit tricky was moving into songs with more sharps and flats. Maybe spending time on more Rookie level songs would have made that transition easier.
Intermediate is not all that much harder than Rookie; the main thing it is doing is getting you to play chords with the left hand. The actual songs are not too difficult.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

scirocco wrote: Intermediate is not all that much harder than Rookie; the main thing it is doing is getting you to play chords with the left hand. The actual songs are not too difficult.
Yes, correct! Just to elaborate on that: the intermediate style arrangements usually follow a few rules:

-the meter is 4/4, 3/4, or 6/8, etc, the exact meter of the song. This lends to lots of smaller note values. You might notice that Rookie arrangements are commonly in 2/2 or 3/2, etc. Essentially, this allows rookie songs to have durations of only whole, half, and quarter notes. So you'll start to see some eighth notes in Intermediate arrangements.

-the left hand almost always follows chords in close position with each other. You'll start to see chord symbols and usually no more than three note chords in an easy harmonic rhythm - whole notes, usually.

-the right hand is still single notes, but now is less simplified - the rhythms may be a bit more challenging.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Support Tech & Music Arranger
andrew@playgroundsessions.com

AQJ

Post by AQJ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 pm

andrewwegierski wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am
Alan,

Thanks for the post here. I think the website is purposely vague in a sense because with Playground, you are your own teacher, and that means you can set up your own curriculum however you'd like. That sounds like a good plan to me, though. The point of the boot camp is to provide you with enough piano technique and music theory instruction so that you can launch into learning songs of your interest. I'd advise to go through the entire rookie boot camp before jumping into songs; however, you can jump into any song at any time if you feel you're ready! (Lean on Me is a popular first song choice.)

Best,
Andrew
I get the idea that you want us to be our own teacher, but I don't think that this is really helpful to keep users in the dark asking them setup their own curriculum. For instance, I don't know the difference between bootcamp and course as I just play them in sequence in order to finish the more songs that I can.

Don't you have any valuable knowledge to share with us?

Overall, I'm starting to enjoy a little bit more PG, but I'm still unsure about the proposed structure. For instance, if I am supposed to figure out myself how to gauge my learning curve and the order of the lessons, why am I not able to write down some notes on the music sheet?

Thanks