Working tablets and keyboards

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
smthng

Working tablets and keyboards

Post by smthng » Tue May 22, 2018 4:59 pm

I went through all the posts so far and compiled a sheet with all the tablets and keyboards people have tried so far. If you want to help, please reply with the keyboards and tablets that you are using, especially if I haven't listed them yet! I'll update the sheets as I see more reports. You can find the sheet here:
Android Compatible Keyboards and Tablets

There are two tabs at the bottom of the sheet, one for keyboards and one for tablets. We have two different concerns so far, the keyboard and the tablet. The USB OTG adapter may play a part as well, but there's not enough posts to determine enough about that yet.

I can't stress the following enough... Just because I listed something as not working, doesn't always mean it won't work. It just means that the combination tried so far doesn't work. In the notes column I listed a number for an explanation... If it's a "1", it probably won't work with the current builds of the software. If there's no number in the Notes field, it just means that it didn't work with a tablet that we know works. As an example, I have a PSR-E453 and an Akai LPK25. Neither works with my Tab S tablet. It could be the tablet that has the problem. Unless someone else can confirm that my model of Tab S works with other keyboards, I can't rule out the keyboards yet. For cases like that they are listed as not working, but with a 3 in the notes column. If we get enough reports, I'll make this clearer... right now there just not enough info.

Particular thanks to sw1tch7ch for posting such detailed info about his attempts... he's probably the source of 30% of my data. :)

sw1tch73ch

Re: Working tablets and keyboards

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm

The Samsung Galaxy S2 in your chart shows as working with the Yamaha PSR-E353 so that could be my report. I will add that at this time I have not been able to get it to work with my Yamaha YPG-635 (very old keyboard - USB MIDI only - not class compliant and no "5 Pin" MIDI ports).

I also have tried it with my first generation Yamaha MX-49 - no luck with USB port MIDI. It does have 5 PIN MIDI ports and will work with a Roland UM-ONE USB to MIDI adapter with Playground Sessions. Of course the MX-49 only has 49 keys and "synth action keys" so not the optimum practice piano. At least the PSR-E353 has 61 keys (still not weighted though).

My understanding, though I have not tried it, is the second generation MX synths should work because they are "Class Compliant."
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm

As an addendum to my previous post - let me say that if you have a MIDI Keyboard with 5 PIN DIN ports, then using it with a Roland UM-ONE Mk2 USB to MIDI adapter will very likely be successful. The UM-ONE is class compliant and needs no additional drivers (I don't know if this is true of other USB to MIDI adapters).
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks for this information! Should be really helpful to users while we're working on the android version.
Andrew Wegierski

Support Tech & Music Arranger
andrew@playgroundsessions.com

mogaber

Post by mogaber » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 am

Hello,
the arrangement below is working fine for me. connecting the tablet and keyboard with and OTG cable.

Tablet : Acer Iconia One 10 B3-A40-K2AM
Keyboard : Casio LK-280

peter

Post by peter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:57 pm

I've just installed Playground Sessions from the PlayStore - And it's 'mostly' working on our ASUS C302 Chromebooks with a Novoo USB-C to USB adapter connected to a Yamaha P115 Keyboard.

I say mostly, because it takes a fair amount of time to start working, and I haven't worked out what exactly what is the problem / solution just yet. Essentially it won't respond to mouse and/or touch events for quite some time (minutes) and by that time I'm tapping away, minimising, switching out and yelling at it. But eventually it will suddenly kick in, and start responding perfectly and there are no problems that I can see from that point on.

The other issue I see is that I can't log out and change the username. I can't select the username field - using tab to switch between fields because the touch screen doesn't work yet. So either this field is locked once it has a username, or it doesn't have a tab index.

peter

Post by peter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I just thought I'd mention that this also works with a Sony Xperia X Performance, connected to a Yamaha P115 keyboard using a micro-usb to USB adapter. HOWEVER, it doesn't all fit on the screen. So you have to guess the last bar on each line....

BATS

Post by BATS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 am

Hello

Using a Yamaha E363 Keyboard with a ZTE K81
Android version
August 1, 2017 Android Security Patch Level

Kernel Version
3.10.49-gbed21d3
zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Using it with the OTG adapter
Everything seems to be working Ok. A few small issuses but it might be the OTG cable. Sometimes it seems like there is a loose connection,and the sound goes wonky. There is a little bit of a lag, every now and then. But in general it seems to be working not bad.

A few things that i notice different in the beta compared to the version i use on my windows 10 PC where no issues.
On Windows PC i can use the highest and lowest "C" at the same time to start the lesson (Huge Plus) Beta version :( :( :( :( :( :(
On Windows PC i can see my progress and have more control over my account. Beta version i cant seem to find it :( :(
On Windows PC i have the option to make the sheet music larger, Im getting old and eyes arent as good. Beta version :(

Overall so far I am impressed with both the windows version and the Beta

Keep up the good work.

Bats