Touchscreen/Mouse doesn't respond initially (ChromeOS)

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
peter

Touchscreen/Mouse doesn't respond initially (ChromeOS)

Post by peter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi everyone,

We've got Playground Sessions installed (from the PlayStore) on an ASUS C302 chromebook and encountering a bizarre issue.
On first opening the app, I am unable to get the app to respond to any touch events either through the touch screen or using a mouse. I CAN however, use the tab key and press enter to navigate around the app somewhat, and it does respond to the keyboard connecting / disconnecting / playing notes.
I can minimise / maximise / switch to other running apps fine, so it's nothing to do with my chromebook's touchscreen.

Now, I'm not sure what triggers it yet, but if I randomly press all over the screen for long enough (several minutes), eventually everything will start working fine and the app works brilliantly. In fact, when I first evaluated it (before paying for it) I noticed that it stayed on Quincy's photo for a while before I was able to scroll to the other pages on the intro screen. I just figured it was loading and we moved on. However, every time I start up the app now, it will have this issue. Whether it's on the music screen or the course list. Very frustrating - sometimes it might take several minutes - or I give up.

If I look at the CPU usage, it's mostly sitting on 7% for Playground sessions, and sometimes jumps up to 25% or 33% for a while, so not really working the laptop hard. Must be kind of threading / timing issue going on internally, but would LOVE to have this fixed!!!

Happy to try any developer versions if you'd like some debug information.

Regards,
Peter.

peter

Re: Touchscreen/Mouse doesn't respond initially (ChromeOS)

Post by peter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 am

Some further information... (which may or may not be helpful)
I notice that there appears to be a service & client arrangement with this app such that if I shut the app down, there is a component that stays in memory. I've also noticed that if the application is not responding to touch, if I just shut it down (and don't force kill the service) and start it up again, after a few attempts it will work fine. This leads me to believe that there is some kind of issue communicating with the service that is the problem here. I haven't narrowed it down yet, but whether it's online / offline also seems to be playing a role in this somehow. There was a time today when every time it worked, it was offline. But every time it didn't it was online. I was connected to the internet the whole time.

It's also crashed on startup quite a few times (after I've killed the underlying service such that it's starting up fresh) - I've submitted the Google bug reports in these instances.

andrewwegierski

Re: Touchscreen/Mouse doesn't respond initially (ChromeOS)

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi Peter,

Playground isn't currently compatible with the Chrome OS. That's why your experiencing these problems.

It sometimes works with Chromebooks running Android 6.0+, but even that is spotty right now. Our first priority is to work on the Android version in general, and I don't have a timetable on when that will be complete. But developers are looking into it.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Support Tech & Music Arranger
andrew@playgroundsessions.com